462 Squadron.com

A tribute to the Crew of Halifax III, NA-240, Z5-V

466-462 Squadron Association Crest
Home Crew 59
NA240 Z5-V
Locations Halifax III Crash Details
NA240 Z5-V
Log book
R/AG Crew 59
Squadron Crews
Site Map Other Personnel Memorials Acknowledgements Contact Latest News Site updated
6 November 2017
Foulsham Memorial – 462 Squadron RAAF and other Squadrons and Units based at Foulsham, Norfolk

 

The dedication and unveiling of Commemorative Plaques on the Foulsham Village Sign was held on Sunday 27 August 1989 at 12:30pm, as part of a three day Flower Festival at Foulsham. Photos 1 to 10 below cover this 1989 event. The scheduled time table of events was published in a local newspaper. Further details have been taken from the 8-page Festival "Order of Service" (Ref: Foulsham Community Archives CD). At 11am there was a "Foulsham in the Forties" Festival Service at the Holy Innocents' Church. During the singing of the processional hymn, Standards were presented at the altar. The Sermon was given by the Bishop of Lynn, The Right Reverend David Bentley. This was followed by the "Act of Remembrance" and "The Lighting of a Candle of Remembrance", in honour of those of R.A.F. Foulsham who gave their lives while on active service. After the service, attendees gathered in the churchyard, then, led by the R.A.F. Band Honington, they processed to the Village Sign for the dedication of the plaques. The sign was on the right hand side on Station Road, at the southern entrance to Foulsham. There were two plaques, one on the southern side of the plinth and the other on the northern side. Visitors included members of RAF detachments and Associations, British Legion, and ex-RAF service personnel and families. At the Foulsham Village Sign at 12:30pm, the official Welcome was given by Mr. J. V. Webdale, Chairman of the Foulsham Airfield Memorial Committee. The official Unveiling was carried out by Mr. L. H. Bartram (Len, now deceased, was also one of the Memorial organisers). After the band finished playing there was a moment of silence, followed by the Dedication of the Plaques, then concluding prayers, and a hymn. The weekend also included displays of RAF memorabilia, a coach tour of the old airfield, a "Forties Dance", and village barbecue. (The original Village Sign, without plaques, had been unveiled in its location at the southern entrance to Foulsham in 1977 in commemoration of Queen Elizabeth II Silver Jubilee.)

In 1995, ex-462 Squadron Flight Engineer Sgt A. A. Newstead and his wife travelled to Foulsham, and visited the Village Sign which was then still located on Station Road. On behalf of the Anderson Crew (Skipper F/O H.R.(Andy) Anderson D.F.C.), they placed flowers (a bunch of daffodils) and a card with an inscription in memory of "Those who did not return". Photos 11 to 13 below cover this 1995 event.

Foulsham was visited from 9th to 16th April 2012 by E.M.A.Hibberd to trace the footsteps of the Crew of 462 Squadron RAAF Halifax NA240 Z5-V, which took off on its last Op on 10th April 1945 at 1910 hours. On 10 April 2012 at 1910 hours, beside the former main runway and exactly 67 years since NA240 left on that fateful last flight, my thoughts were of those brave men and the many others who gave their lives while in 462 Squadron, and other Squadrons of 100 Group and Bomber Command. Some years previous, the Village Sign had been relocated from the southern outskirts of Foulsham on Station Road, to the central "Market Hill" area, beside the War Memorial. Photos 14 to 23 below were all taken on 11 April 2012. Photos 14 to 19 are of the relocated and refurbished Village Sign and Memorial Plaques. Photos 20 to 23 are of the Holy Innocents' Church, Roll of Honour for RAF Station Foulsham, and the Wall Plaque inside the Church.(A page on this website to show what remained of the Foulsham Airfield and buildings in April 2012, and other locations of interest will be created in the future.)

(Note: variations to the initials of Crew and their RAF service numbers appear in the Squadron ORBs. Please contact to make any corrections. RAAF service numbers have been confirmed as correct, with reference to the Aus. WW2 Nominal Roll.)

Photo scans supplied by and used with the permission of:-
Photos 1, 6 (1989) and attached newspaper clipping of "1989 Flower Festival Events" – Andrew Macnair of the Foulsham Community Archives, from CD "RAF Foulsham, photos, articles, memories" (see also website http://foulshamarchives.weebly.com/index.html for more photos and information about Foulsham during WW2).
Photos 2, 3, 8, 9 (1989) – former Pilot Flight Lieut. Bruce K. Drinkwater (dec'd) of 462 Squadron;
Photos 4, 5, 7, 10 (1989) and 11, 12, 13 (1995) – former Flight Engineer Sgt A.A. Newstead, of 462 Squadron;
Photos 14 to 23 inclusive were personally taken by this Website's Author on 11 April 2012.


 

Display in the Holy Innocents' Church in tribute to Squadrons at RAF Station Foulsham, as part of the Flower Festival in August 1989.

 

Photo 1 Display in the Holy Innocents' Church in tribute to Squadrons at RAF Station Foulsham, as part of the Flower Festival in August 1989.

Foulsham Airfield was the home in turn of 98, 180, 514, and 192 RAF Squadrons, and 462 Squadron RAAF during WW2, and the display incorporated each of those squadrons.

Photo supplied by Foulsham Community Archives and used with permission of Andrew Macnair.

 

 

RAF Band Honington assembles in readiness to process through Foulsham to the Village Sign for the unveiling of Memorial Plaques, 27 August 1989.

 

Photo 2 RAF Band Honington assembles in readiness to process through Foulsham to the Village Sign for the unveiling of Memorial Plaques, 27 August 1989. Standards and Bearers are in the background.

Photo supplied by B.K.Drinkwater in August 2009 and used with his permission.

 

RAF Band Honington, followed by ex-RAF veterans and Standards Bearers process through Foulsham towards the Village Sign for the unveiling of Memorial Plaques, 27 August 1989.

 

Photo 3 RAF Band Honington, followed by ex-RAF veterans and Standard Bearers process through Foulsham towards the Village Sign for the unveiling of Memorial Plaques, 27 August 1989.

Photo supplied by B.K.Drinkwater in August 2009 and used with his permission.

 

RAF Band Honington, followed by ex-RAF veterans and Standard Bearers arrive at the Foulsham Village Sign for the unveiling of Memorial Plaques, 27 August 1989.

 

 

Photo 4 RAF Band Honington, followed by ex-RAF veterans and Standard Bearers arrive at the Foulsham Village Sign for the unveiling of Memorial Plaques, 27 August 1989.

Photo supplied by A.A.Newstead and used with his permission.

 

 

Ex-RAF veterans and Standard Bearers arrive at the Foulsham Village Sign for the unveiling of Memorial Plaques, 27 August 1989.

 

Photo 5 Ex-RAF veterans and Standard Bearers arrive at the Foulsham Village Sign for the unveiling of Memorial Plaques, 27 August 1989.

Photo supplied by A.A.Newstead and used with his permission.

 

 

The ceremony for the unveiling of the Memorial Plaques at the Foulsham Village Sign, 27 August 1989, showing the southern side of the sign and plinth with one of the plaques.

 

 

 

Photo 6 The ceremony for the unveiling of the Memorial Plaques at the Foulsham Village Sign, 27 August 1989, showing the southern side of the sign and plinth with one of the plaques.

Members of the The Official Party are beside the sign, and Air Force veterans and Standard Bearers are in the background.

Two Plaques are fitted, one each on the north and south sides of the plinth.

The picture at the top of the sign depicts the "Great Fire" of 1770 which destroyed many buildings in the village, and damaged many others, including parts of the Holy Innocent's Church. A 2nd and different picture of the "Great Fire" is on the other side. On both sides of the sign is the name Foulsham, under which is a small crest marked ER II 1977. This relates to the Silver Jubilee year of Queen Elizabeth, when this Village Sign was originally installed.

Photo supplied by Foulsham Community Archives and used with permission of Andrew Macnair.

 

 

The ceremony for the unveiling of the Memorial Plaques at the Foulsham Village Sign, 27 August 1989, as viewed from the roadway.

 

 

Photo 7 The ceremony for the unveiling of the Memorial Plaques at the Foulsham Village Sign, 27 August 1989, as viewed from the roadway.

Members of the The Official Party are beside the sign, and Air Force veterans and Standard Bearers are behind them to the left and right.

Photo supplied by A.A.Newstead and used with his permission.

 

 

Northern side of the Foulsham Village Sign showing the Memorial Plaque listing units based at RAF Foulsham, unveiled 27 August 1989.

 

 

Photo 8 Northern side of the Foulsham Village Sign showing the Memorial Plaque listing units based at RAF Foulsham, unveiled 27 August 1989. (Details transcribed later.)

Photo supplied by B.K.Drinkwater in August 2009 and used with his permission.

 

 

462 Squadron RAAF veterans and wives at the unveiling of the Memorial Plaques on the Foulsham Village Sign, 27 August 1989.

 

 

 

Photo 9 462 Squadron RAAF veterans and wives at the unveiling of the Memorial Plaques on the Foulsham Village Sign, 27 August 1989.

Names as recorded with photo ........
From left:- Arthur Newstead, 462 Squadron; Frank Robinson, 462 Squadron, Mary Robinson; Avis Brocklesby, Len Brocklesby 462 Squadron.

Sgt Arthur A. Newstead, 1593580 RAF, Flight Engineer (Anderson crew, see later for details);
F/Sgt Bernard Francis (Frank) Robinson, 424343 RAAF, Wireless Operator, later Warrant Officer (Lyle Robinson crew, see below);
Sgt L.G. (Len) Brocklesby, Flight Engineer, 1594323 RAF, Flight Engineer (Marchant crew, F/O Noel Edward Marchant, 418859 RAAF).

As advised by Newstead, there were six 462 Squadron air crew in attendance, the three in the photo, plus Pilot Lyle Robinson possibly taking the photo; Smith, who had done 2 tours, but only a few Ops in 462 Squadron; and Webber .......
P/O Lyle David Robinson, 428792 RAAF, Pilot, later F/O, (not related to W/Op);
F/Sgt D.R. Smith, 1616243 RAF, Rear Gunner (Scharer crew, F/L Lloyd George Scharer DFC 402673 RAAF);
Sgt J. A. Webber, 1875012 RAF, Rear Gunner (Langworthy crew, F/L Geoffrey Maxwell Michell (Max) Langworthy, 428848 RAAF).

Photo supplied by B.K.Drinkwater in August 2009 and used with his permission.

 

 

A floral tribute was left on the plinth of the Foulsham Village Sign, sometime after the unveiling of the Memorial Plaques on Sunday 27 August 1989.

 

 

Photo 10 A floral tribute was left on the plinth of the Foulsham Village Sign, sometime after the unveiling of the Memorial Plaques on Sunday 27 August 1989. The roses were accompanied by a handwritten note with the words .....

“IN LOVING MEMORY
OF LES.
SHOT DOWN
OVER BREST
24 JUNE 1943"

The ex-462 Squadron veterans who attended the Ceremony did not know who left the floral tribute, nor did they see when it was left. They also did not know who Les was. However, it was, and still is, very moving. Les was obviously very special to someone who was present on the day.

Photo supplied by A.A.Newstead and used with his permission.

Back to top of page

 

Southern side of the Foulsham Village Sign and Memorial Plaques, 1995, with flowers left in memory of lost aircrew by A.A.Newstead on behalf of Anderson's Crew, 462 Squadron.

 

 

Photo 11 Southern side of the Foulsham Village Sign and Memorial Plaques, 1995, with flowers left in memory of lost aircrew by A.A. Newstead on behalf of Anderson's Crew, 462 Squadron.

The upper section of the sign appears to have been repainted sometime between 1989 and 1995.

Photo supplied by A.A.Newstead and used with his permission.

 

 

Close up of the southern side of the Foulsham Village Sign and Memorial Plaques, 1995, with flowers left in memory of lost aircrew by A.A.Newstead, on behalf of Anderson's Crew, 462 Squadron.

 

Photo 12 Close up of the southern side of the Foulsham Village Sign and Memorial Plaques, 1995, with flowers left in memory of lost aircrew by A.A. Newstead, on behalf of Anderson's Crew, 462 Squadron.

Photo supplied by A.A.Newstead and used with his permission.

 

 

Daffodils left in memory of lost air crew by A.A.Newstead, on behalf of Anderson's Crew, 462 Squadron RAAF, at Foulsham Village Sign with Memorial Plaques, 1995.
Photo supplied by A.A.Newstead and used with his permission.

 

 

 

Photo 13 Daffodils left in memory of lost air crew by A.A. Newstead, on behalf of Anderson's Crew, 462 Squadron RAAF, at Foulsham Village Sign with Memorial Plaques, 1995.

The inscription card reads .....

"IN MEMORY OF ALL THOSE WHO
FLEW OUT OF FOULSHAM AIRFIELD
AND DID NOT RETURN.
ANDERSON'S CREW
462 (RAAF) SQUADRON".

Skipper F/O Henry Robert (Andy) Anderson DFC, 428018 RAAF (died 2008);
Bomb Aimer Sgt K. J. (Ken) Faithfull, 1603341 RAF;
Navigator F/Sgt George Frederick (George) Hicks, 1803292 RAF;
Wireless Operator P/O Bruce Alfred (Dinger) Bell, 417941 RAAF;
Rear Gunner Sgt F. (Fred) Satherley 1211556 RAF (died 1996);
Mid-Upper Gunner Sgt Astley (Aggie) Gordon 1819897 RAF (died 2004);
Flight Engineer Sgt Arthur A (Duke) Newstead 1593580 RAF;
Special Operators – various.

Back to top of page

 

 

Relocated Foulsham Village Sign in the central "Market Hill", as seen in 2012 (viewed from the south).

 

 

 

Photo 14 Foulsham Village Sign with Memorial Plaques as seen in April 2012. Some years previous, the Village Sign had been relocated from the southern outskirts of Foulsham on Station Road, to the central "Market Hill" area, beside the War Memorial. This triangular area is at the junction of Reepham Road to the east (around the curve to the right of the photo), and Hindolveston Road to the north. It is viewed from High Street (leading to Station Road) to the south.

The blue arrow indicates the Foulsham Village Sign with Memorial Plaques, and the green arrow indicates the War Memorial.

The brick building, back left, is "The Old Bull Inn'; centre is "Ivy House"; and to the right is "Hill House".

The Tower (with clock) of the Holy Innocents' Church may be seen in the far back left, on Hindolveston Road.

Photo by E.M.A.Hibberd, 11 April 2012.

 

 

Relocated Foulsham Village Sign in the central "Market Hill", as seen in 2012 (viewed from the north).

 

Photo 15 Foulsham Village Sign and War Memorial in the central "Market Hill" area, as seen in April 2012, and viewed from Hindolveston Road. High Street curves to the right going south towards Station Road, and Reepham Road curves to the left going east.

The blue arrow indicates the Foulsham Village Sign with Memorial Plaques, and the green arrow indicates the War Memorial.

Photo by E.M.A.Hibberd, 11 April 2012.

 

 

Redesigned and relocated Foulsham Village Sign with two Memorial Plaques as seen in April 2012.

 

 

Photo 16 Foulsham Village Sign with two Memorial Plaques as seen in April 2012. The upper section of the sign has been redesigned. The new picture at the top, but on one side only, depicts the "Great Fire" of 1770. Under the name Foulsham, 1770 refers to the year of that "Great Fire". Both of the Memorial Plaques are now positioned on the southern side of the plinth which has been increased in height.

The Tower of the Holy Innocents' Church may be seen in the back left, on Hindolveston Road.

Photo by E.M.A.Hibberd, 11 April 2012.

 

 

Close-up of plinth of Foulsham Village Sign with two Memorial Plaques as seen in April 2012.

 

 

 

Photo 17 Close-up of plinth of Foulsham Village Sign with two Memorial Plaques as seen in April 2012.

The Tower of the Holy Innocents' Church may be seen in the back left, on Hindolveston Road.

Photo by E.M.A.Hibberd, 11 April 2012.

 

Upper Memorial Plaque on plinth of Foulsham Village Sign, as seen in April 2012.

Photo 18 Upper Memorial Plaque on plinth of Foulsham Village Sign, as seen in April 2012, with wording .........

RAF emblem, PER ARDUA AD ASTRA
REMEMBERING ALL WHO SERVED
AT R.A.F. FOULSHAM
1942-1947.
THE AIRFIELD LAY ONE MILE
NORTH OF THIS SIGN.

Photo by E.M.A.Hibberd, 11 April 2012.

 

Lower Memorial Plaque on plinth of Foulsham Village Sign, as seen in April 2012

Photo 19 Lower Memorial Plaque on plinth of Foulsham Village Sign, as seen in April 2012, with wording .........

RAF emblem, PER ARDUA AD ASTRA
UNITS BASED AT FOULSHAM AIRFIELD
98 SQUADRON R.A.F. 1678 H.C. FLIGHT R.A.F.
180 SQUADRON R.A.F. 192 SQUADRON R.A.F.
12 GLIDER M.U. R.A.F. 514 SQUADRON R.A.F.
BSD UNIT R.A.F. 462 SQUADRON R.A.A.F.
ELINT DET. 7TH P.R. GROUP U.S.A.A.F.

Photo by E.M.A.Hibberd, 11 April 2012.

 

Holy Innocents' Church, Foulsham, April 2012.

Photo 20 Holy Innocents' Church, Foulsham, April 2012.

Photo by E.M.A.Hibberd, 11 April 2012.

 

Interior of Holy Innocents' Church, Foulsham in April 2012.

Photo 21 Interior of Holy Innocents' Church, Foulsham in April 2012, with Roll of Honour on the table at the front right side of the photo.

Photo by E.M.A.Hibberd, 11 April 2012.

 

Tribute Sign to Royal Air Force, Foulsham Airfield, on the wall in the Holy Innocents' Church, Foulsham, April 2012.

Photo 22 Tribute Sign on the wall in the Holy Innocents' Church, Foulsham, April 2012, with wording .........

ROYAL AIR FORCE
FOULSHAM AIRFIELD
1942 ~ 1947
"It would be a pity were generations to grow up unaware
that history was enacted on their own doorsteps"

Photo by E.M.A.Hibberd, 11 April 2012.

 

RAF Station Foulsham Roll of Honour held in the Holy Innocents' Church, Foulsham, April 2012.

 

Photo 23 RAF Station Foulsham Roll of Honour held in the Holy Innocents' Church, Foulsham, April 2012, with wording on cover ....

Royal Air Force Station
Foulsham

Roll of Honour
This list contains the names of 191 men who died while serving at Foulsham Airfield
May they be forever remembered by the village in which they served
FOR ALL THOSE THAT, ON THEIR JOURNEY THROUGH LIFE, PASSED THIS WAY

A copy of the Roll of Honour pages for 462 Squadron may be added to this website at a later date.

Photo by E.M.A.Hibberd, 11 April 2012.

Back to top of page

grey back button to Memorials page

Copyright © E.M.A.Hibberd 2010 - 2017.