462 Squadron.com

A tribute to the Crew of Halifax III, NA-240, Z5-V

466-462 Squadron Association Crest
Home Crew 59
NA240 Z5-V
Locations Halifax III Crash Details
NA240 Z5-V
Log book
R/AG Crew 59
Squadron Crews
Site Map Other Personnel Memorials Acknowledgements Contact Latest News Site updated
6 July 2017
RAAF 462 Squadron, 4 Group, Bomber Command, Driffield, Yorkshire

 

This page will include general photos of Squadron personnel at Driffield, from the time of the Squadron re-formation in August 1944, to the end of December 1944 when it relocated to Foulsham, Norfolk.

Photos of Crews who were posted to Driffield will be placed on the relevant crew pages, accessed via the Squadron Crews UK page.

Aerial and ground photos of RAF Driffield will also be included, some from 1944 and some more recent. Please use links on the right.

If you have photos of 462 Sqdn personnel, or of the former RAF Driffield which may be suitable for use here, please make contact.

All contributors will be listed in the Acknowledgements.

 

Links to:-
462 Squadron Personnel 1944;
Outside the Respirator Workshop – 1944 (Nelder Crew with thanks to Simon Tout) and 20 Feb 2016 (with thanks to Julia Muxlow);
Google Earth views of RAF Driffield (downloaded 01 June 2016);
Aerial views of RAF Driffield – Sunday 14 May 2016 (with thanks to John Pettifer);
Ground views of RAF Driffield – Saturday 07 July 2012.
(This group of photos are from the author's personal collection, and were taken during a visit to the UK from Australia. Sadly, I had not thought to phone the M.O.D. in advance of my planned visit to Driffield, so when I arrived, the gates were securely locked, and nobody could be contacted to gain access.)
Air raid on RAF Driffield on 15 August 1940 – photo and news articles of the unveiling and Dedication of a Memorial to those who had lost their lives. (Note: Although that air raid occurred four years before 462 Squadron RAAF was based there, the information is included as part of the history of the site. Please also visit the Driffield Memorial page to view the Air Raid Memorial after it was relocated to beside the 466/462 Squadrons' Memorial.)

 

 

Flight Engineers of 462 Squadron, Driffield, November 1944.
Photo from the A. A. Newstead collection.

Flight Engineers of 462 Squadron RAAF, at Driffield, November 1944.

Thanks go to Arthur 'Duke' Newstead, former Sgt and RAF Flight Engineer of the Anderson Crew, who kindly supplied this photo, with identification of some of the Flight Engineers by surname. For those Flight Engineers who have not yet been positively identified, assistance is sought from veterans, their families, or friends, who may recognize and put names to faces. If you can assist, please make contact. Details will be corrected and extra information added after verification.
Duke had previously provided a similar photo of Flight Engineers at 462 Squadron, Foulsham, mid 1945.

Surnames in CAPITAL letters are thought to be correct. Names in Italics are uncertain, and need verification. Unknown need to be identified.

Back row, from left:- 1. Lord (or Rowe?); 2. Unknown; 3. MILES (Uther crew); 4. NEALE (Bailey crew); 5. HULBERT (Hancock crew);
6. BROWN (O'Sullivan crew); 7. Watson; 8. Unknown, possibly Hodgson (Ridgewell crew); 9. SOAMES DFM (McGindle crew); 10. Unknown

Between back and middle row:- 1. Taylor

Middle row from left:- 1. Arthur A NEWSTEAD (Anderson crew); 2. Unknown; 3. HOLGATE (Drinkwater crew); 4. CASEY (Langworthy crew); 5. Unknown; 6. HOLLINS (Lodder crew); 7. DAUGHTERS (Robertson crew); 8. White; 9. Unknown; 10. Unknown; 11. Pegram (Rate crew); 12. Unknown, possibly Hetherington (Ely crew)

Front row from left:- 1. MANNING (Taylor crew); 2. ROSE (Jackson crew); 3. CONSTABLE (Finley crew); 4. RICHARDS (Hourigan crew);
5. READHEAD (Flight Engineer Leader, Ops in various crews); 6. MURRAY (Shannon crew); 7. BROCKLESBY (Marchant crew);
8. Unknown

 

 

Officers of 462 Squadron RAAF at Driffield, December 1944; R.J. Evans, W.B. Cookson, L. T. Sanders, P. H. Finley, E. Hourigan, B. J. MacDermott. All had parachuted to safety from damaged aircraft.
From the Australian War Memorial collection, ID UK2336

MacDermott & Sanders parachuted from 466 Sqdn Halifax LV971 on the night of 30 April / 1 May 1944; Hourigan from 466 Sqdn Halifax LV943 on night of 6/7 May 1944; Finley from 466 Sqdn Halifax MZ313 on 18 July 1944.

Pilot Cookson and crew 23 all parachuted to safety near Brussels, from 462 Squadron Halifax MZ296, Z5-L, which was lost on the night of 14/15 October 1944 while returning from a raid on Duisburg. Photos of Halifax MZ296 Z5-L may be seen on the Halifax page.

All would have been eligible for membership of the Caterpillar Club (see Hibberd Caterpillar Club for further information on the Club).

 

462 Squadron Officers, Driffield, December 1944.

Left: Photo from the Australian War Memorial, ID UK2336, Copyright expired, public domain, with caption ......... (quote)

"Yorkshire, England. 1944-12-13. Group portrait of members of No. 462 and No. 466 (Halifax) Squadrons RAAF at RAF Station Driffield, who have all parachuted to safety from their damaged aircrafts as they foregather for a game of billiards. Left to right: 410202 Flying Officer R. J. Evans DFC, Carrum, Vic; Flight Lieutenant (Flt Lt) W. B. Cookson, Royal New Zealand Air Force; Pilot Officer Sanders, RAF; 412294 Flt Lt P. H. Finley DFC, Roseville, NSW; 420882 FO E. J. Hourigan, Sydney, NSW; 207838 Squadron Leader B. J. MacDermott DFC, Sydney, NSW."

1. Roger John Evans was Bomb Aimer in 462 Sqdn Crew 15;
2. William Bolton Cookson was Pilot in 462 Sqdn Crew 23;
3. Leslie Thomas Sanders was Navigator in 462 Sqdn Crew 2;
4. Peter Hamilton Finley was Pilot of 462 Sqdn Crew 15;
5. Edmund Hourigan was Pilot of 462 Sqdn Crew 33;
6. Bernard John MacDermott was Pilot of 462 Sqdn Crew 2.

MacDermott posted to 462 Sqdn Driffield Aug 1944; out Jan/Feb 1945.
Sanders posted to 462 Sqdn Driffield Aug 1944; out Nov 1944.
Evans posted to 462 Sqdn Driffield Aug 1944; out Nov 1944.
Finley posted to 462 Sqdn Driffield Aug 1944; out Jan 1945.
Hourigan posted to 462 Driffield Sept 1944; out Dec 1944.
Cookson posted 462 Sqdn Driffield Sept 1944, out May 1945.
Of the six in the photo at Driffield, only MacDermott, Finley and Cookson relocated with the Squadron to Foulsham.

Return to top

 

Outside the Respirator Workshop, Driffield, 1944. Crew 28, 462 Squadron RAAF, Pilot Frank Edward Nelder.
Crew photo supplied by and used with the permission of Simon Tout.

Outside the Respirator Workshop, Driffield, 1944.
Pilot Frank Edward Nelder and Crew 28, 462 Squadron RAAF.

The pipe up the corner of the building is still present in 2016 (photo adjacent). The building on the right in the background is also still standing, and is visible in the following Google Earth images, and marked as Bldg 4 in Image D.

Similar photos of other crews in the same location:- Carthy Crew (winter), Coleman Crew, Cuttriss Crew, Friend Crew, Triggs Crew, Uther Crew.

 

February 2016 - Outside the Respirator Workshop at RAF Driffield, the location for many Crew photos for 462 Squadron from August to end of December 1944.
Photo by J. Muxlow, UK, © Copyright 2016.

Outside the Respirator Workshop at RAF Driffield, on 20 February 2016, during a visit by Julia & Peter Muxlow and Andy Ward, relatives of members of the Coleman Crew. This was the location for many Crew photos for 462 Squadron from August to end of December 1944.

The entrance to the workshop was through the doorway on the left. The moss-covered concrete path from the doorway is still visible, the trellis framework for vines is long gone but other fittings remain from the original building, including the pipe up the wall at the corner.

This location has been marked with Arrow 2 in each of the four following Google Earth images.
Return to top

 

Google Earth image of RAF Driffield, June 2016, the home of 462 Squadron from August to December 1944.
Original image from Google Earth, modified by Author.

Google Earth Image A of the former RAF Driffield, current as of 01 June 2016. The A614 from Eastburn (bottom left) to Kelleythorpe (mid right) leads on to Driffield. The cross-shaped markings of the original runways are clearly visible in the left side of the image. Arrow 1 points to the entry to the Humberside and South Yorkshire Army Cadet Force. Arrow 2 points to the location of the building which housed the former Respirator Workshop (photos shown previously). Arrow 3 points to the old entrance, to what is now a business site. Views from location 3 are shown in a subsequent section.

 

Google Earth image of RAF Driffield, June 2016, the home of 462 Squadron from August to December 1944.
Original image from Google Earth, modified by Author.

Google Earth Image B, closer view of the former RAF Driffield, current as of 01 June 2016. The A614 from Eastburn (bottom left) to Kelleythorpe (mid right) leads on to Driffield. As for the image on the left, Arrow 1 points to the main entrance (Humberside and South Yorkshire ACF), and Arrow 2 points to the former Respirator Workshop building. The four large buildings in the curve on the left side of the image were the former aircraft hangers. The heart-shaped lawn area inside the main entrance was the original site of the Air Raid Memorial (see later photos and news articles).

 

Google Earth image of RAF Driffield, June 2016, the home of 462 Squadron from August to December 1944.
Original image from Google Earth, modified by Author.

Google Earth Image C, closer view of the former RAF Driffield, current as of 01 June 2016. Arrow 1 points to the main entrance (Humberside and South Yorkshire ACF), and Arrow 2 points to the former Respirator Workshop building. Parts of two of the former aircraft hangers are visible to the left side of the image. Inside the main entry area, the building (with Google dots) on the left of the main gate, and the large brick building opposite the entrance, may be seen in a panorama image in the subsequent section. Also just inside the entrance is a heart-shaped lawn area, where a white path leads to a centrally located flagpole, near the original site of the Air Raid Memorial.

 

Google Earth image of RAF Driffield, June 2016, the home of 462 Squadron from August to December 1944.
Original image from Google Earth, modified by Author.

Google Earth Image D, closest view of the former RAF Driffield, current as of 01 June 2016. Arrow 2 points to the wall adjacent to the door of the former Respirator Workshop building, where many of the crew photos for 462 Squadron were taken (August to December 1944). Building 4 can also be seen in the background of the Nelder Crew photo 1944, shown previously. Other structures still in place (visible in image, above left of the arrow head) can be seen in the background of some crew photos (e.g. Triggs Crew and Friend crew).
Return to top

 

Aerial view of the former RAF Driffield, 14 May 2016, the home of 462 Squadron from August to December 1944.
Photo by John Pettifer, UK, © Copyright 2016.

Aerial View E. The A614 from Eastburn to Kelleythorpe bisects the image from left to right, and leads on to Driffield. The two entrances to the former RAF Driffield can be located on the A614 with reference to the previous Google Earth images. The cross-shaped markings of the original runways are clearly visible in the centre distance. The four large buildings on the curve in the centre of the image were the former aircraft hangers.

 

Aerial view of the former RAF Driffield, 14 May 2016, the home of 462 Squadron from August to December 1944.
Photo by John Pettifer, UK, © Copyright 2016.

Aerial View F. This shows the four former hangers as viewed from the aircraft, on the runway side. The remains of part of the old runway are visible in the foreground. The Respirator Workshop is located between the 2nd & 3rd hangars, slightly to the rear near the trees. The old entry (arrow 3 in Image A above) is on the lower right. Several hummocks which are visible in the white access road leading across in front of the old hangars, may also be seen in ground photos from location 3 (see later).
Aerial photos E & F were taken on Sunday 14 May 2016 by John Pettifer, a passenger on a pleasure flight booked by Peter & Julia Muxlow. Their aircraft departed from Humberside Airport, the site of the former RAF Kirmington (WW2 Lancasters), and flying over the former RAF Driffield was part of their schedule.
Return to top

 

Panorama view of the entrance to the former RAF Driffield, July 2012, the home of 462 Squadron from August to December 1944.
Panorama image by E.M.A. Hibberd, © Copyright 2012 (composite of 4 photos merged).

The above panorama of is a composite of 4 photos taken through the main gates at the entrance to the former site of RAF Driffield (left, centre left, centre, right). Some of the perspective has been lost, but the buildings in view here may also be seen in the Google Earth Image C. The three white vans are parked in a similar location in both images, and the flagpole is in the centre of the heart-shaped section of lawn.

 

 

Entrance to the former RAF Driffield, July 2012, the home of 462 Squadron from August to December 1944.
Photo by E.M.A. Hibberd, © Copyright 2012.

Main entrance at the former RAF Driffield, July 2012 (marked with Arrow 1 in the Google Earth images A, B, C). The building on the left (white pillars) and the large brick building (centre) may be seen more clearly in the panorama shown above. The gates were securely locked; no one answered the intercom; and the security camera seemed to be unattended. The sign on the fence clearly stated .........

M.O.D. PROPERTY
THIS IS A PROHIBITED PLACE
WITHIN THE MEANING OF THE
OFFICIAL SECRETS ACTS
UNAUTHORISED PERSONS
ENTERING THE AREA MAY BE
ARRESTED AND PROSECUTED

 

Entrance to the former RAF Driffield, July 2012, the home of 462 Squadron from August to December 1944.
Photo by E.M.A. Hibberd, © Copyright 2012.

The former RAF Driffield, July 2012. The sign reads .....

CADET TRAINING CENTRE
DRIFFIELD CAMP
COUNTY HEADQUARTERS ARMY CADET FORCE
DRIFFIELD DETACHMENT ARMY CADET FORCE
873 (DRIFFIELD) SQN AIR TRAINING CORPS
TELEPHONE 01377 253548

To avoid disappointment, visitors should phone prior to their arrival. As I had NOT done so, I was not able to to enter, so all of my photos were from outside the perimeter. However, the crew of NA240 had not been posted to RAF Driffield, so they would not have seen it either.

 

Entrance to the former RAF Driffield, July 2012, the home of 462 Squadron from August to December 1944.
Photo by E.M.A. Hibberd, © Copyright 2012.

The bus stop on the A614, looking back towards the Driffield Camp. Travel between York and Driffield was in the front of the upper deck of an East Yorkshire double-decker bus, a novelty for this Aussie visitor.

 

Views of the former RAF Driffield, July 2012, the home of 462 Squadron from August to December 1944.
Photo by E.M.A. Hibberd, © Copyright 2012.

Walking from the main entrance (Arrow 1, Google Earth images A, B, C) towards the old site entrance (Arrow 3 in Google Image A), I found an old disused gate, in the outer fence near the main entrance of the Driffield Camp. The white pillars in the background are part of the building which is located to the left, inside the main entrance.

 

Views of the former RAF Driffield, July 2012, the home of 462 Squadron from August to December 1944.
Photo by E.M.A. Hibberd, © Copyright 2012.

Looking through the fence into old RAF Driffield – 1.

 

 

Views of the former RAF Driffield, July 2012, the home of 462 Squadron from August to December 1944.
Photo by E.M.A. Hibberd, © Copyright 2012.

Looking through the fence into old RAF Driffield – 2.

Views of the former RAF Driffield, July 2012, the home of 462 Squadron from August to December 1944.
Photo by E.M.A. Hibberd, © Copyright 2012.

Looking through the fence into old RAF Driffield – 3.

Views of the former RAF Driffield, July 2012, the home of 462 Squadron from August to December 1944.
Photo by E.M.A. Hibberd, © Copyright 2012.

Looking through the fence into old RAF Driffield – 4.

 

Views of the former RAF Driffield, July 2012, the home of 462 Squadron from August to December 1944.
Photo by E.M.A. Hibberd, © Copyright 2012.

Almost to the old entrance (Arrow 3, Google Earth Image A). This is one of the four former hangers, as seen in the aerial photos. It is the hanger closest to the A614 in Google Earth images A and B above.

 

Views of the former RAF Driffield, July 2012, the home of 462 Squadron from August to December 1944.
Photo by E.M.A. Hibberd, © Copyright 2012.

Beside the A614, at the old entrance (Arrow 3, Google Earth Image A), looking back towards the former hangars (distant, far right), across the old runways (distant, left to right).

 

Views of the former RAF Driffield, July 2012, the home of 462 Squadron from August to December 1944.
Photo by E.M.A. Hibberd, © Copyright 2012.

At the old entrance (Arrow 3, Google Earth Image A), looking across the old runways (distant left to right). The grassy hummocks with access roads over them, seemed to be spaced at intervals. These were also visible in the aerial photo F, shown previously.

 

Views of the former RAF Driffield, July 2012, the home of 462 Squadron from August to December 1944.
Photo by E.M.A. Hibberd, © Copyright 2012.

From the old entrance (Arrow 3, Google Earth Image A), looking back towards the four former hangars (right, from near to far). The closest blue building is the one seen through the fence (image above left), and is also in the image below.

 

Views of the former RAF Driffield, July 2012, the home of 462 Squadron from August to December 1944.
Photo by E.M.A. Hibberd, © Copyright 2012.

Zoomed in on the old hangars.
All photos were taken from outside the perimeter.
Return to top

 

 

Views of the former RAF Driffield, July 2012, the home of 462 Squadron from August to December 1944.
Photo by E.M.A. Hibberd, © Copyright 2012.

End view of the old hangar, also seen previously. The building in the distance, far right, is possibly one of those in the "looking through the fence" images, 1 or 2 or 3.

News article August 1990, regarding Memorial to victims of Air Raid at RAF Driffield on 15 August 1940.
Supplied by John Forrester 2015.

News article regarding the planned unveiling and Dedication of the Memorial to the victims of an Air Raid on 15 August 1940 at RAF Driffield, to be situated at the Alamein Barracks, the former RAF site.

The RAFA organised the project and collected donations towards the construction of the Memorial, which was supported by the Driffield Town Council.

Source – newspaper, date and page not recorded on original clipping, but possibly the Hull Daily Mail.

News article August 1990, regarding Memorial to victims of Air Raid at RAF Driffield on 15 August 1940.
Supplied by John Forrester 2015.

News article regarding the planned unveiling and Dedication of the Memorial to victims of an Air Raid on 15 August 1940 at RAF Driffield.

Both articles refers to 13 victims, however another died later the same day, and although his name was not on the original plaque, it was included at a later date. The names of the 14 victims are listed on the Driffield Memorial page, adjacent to a photo of the relocated Memorial. Killed were six RAF, one WAAF, one civilian, and six of the East Yorkshire Regiment, including the one who died of his wounds.

Source – newspaper, date and page not recorded on original clipping, but possibly the Driffield Times.

News article August 1990, regarding Memorial to victims of Air Raid at RAF Driffield on 15 August 1940.
Supplied by John Forrester 2015.

Source – newspaper, date and page not recorded on original clipping.

The same photo is included below.

News article August 1990, regarding Memorial to victims of Air Raid at RAF Driffield on 15 August 1940.
Supplied by Nigel Martin 2015.

This article was from the Hull Daily Mail, undated but published soon after the ceremony on Sunday 19 August 1990.

Attendees included representatives of 102 and 77 Squadrons, and the East Yorkshire Regiment, which all lost personnel in the raid; and witnesses and family members of those killed in the disaster. It was also attended by 19 Standard Bearers representing the RAFA, the British Legion, Burma Star, and the Green Howards.

The Memorial was unveiled in a ceremony with full military and RAF honours. Afterwards there was a fly-past by an RAF Leconfield helicopter trailing an RAF Standard, and a lone Spitfire.

 

Mayoress of Driffield Mrs Brenda Pinkney, SAC Nigel Martin RAF, and un-named Corporal, RAF, on 19 August 1990, unveiling the Memorial to victims of Air Raid on 15 August 1940 at RAF Driffield.
Supplied by Nigel Martin 2015.

Unveiling the Memorial, Sunday 19 August 1990.

From left to right: Mayoress of Driffield Mrs Brenda Pinkney; Senior Aircraftman Nigel Martin RAF; un-named Corporal, RAF. In the background are part of the crowd of more than 250 who attended, many of whom were veterans wearing their Medals.

Badges of Rank and Trade for Senior Aircraftman Nigel Martin, RAF Telecommunications Operator who, on 19 August 1990, assisted with unveiling the Memorial to victims of the 1940 Air Raid at RAF Driffield.
Supplied by Nigel Martin 2015.

Above are the badges as shown on the upper right sleeve of SAC Nigel Martin, RAF.

Upper:- Rank Insignia of Senior Aircraftman (SAC), 3-bladed propeller;
and
Lower:- Trade Badge for Telecommunications Operator, aka "Sparks", similar to RAAF Wireless Operator in WW2.

In 1990, SAC Martin was serving at RAF Staxton-Wold, although the living accommodation was at RAF Driffield. He had been asked by the Corporal to assist at the unveiling, a role which he proudly accepted. The names of the 2 RAF personnel assisting Mayoress Pinkney were not mentioned in the news reports, and the Corporal's name has been lost in time. If you can name him, please make contact.

 

News article August 1990, regarding Memorial to victims of Air Raid at RAF Driffield on 15 August 1940.
Supplied by John Forrester 2015.

This article was from the Driffield Times, undated but published sometime after the report of the ceremony.

Above: The article refers to the initial omission of the name of one person who later died of his wounds. His name does not appear on the original plaque, but it is included on the Memorial which is now located to the Driffield Memorial Gardens.

Right: Article on the with a photo and the names of three witnesses of the disaster in 1940.

The Memorial appears to be situated on the lawn just in front of the flagpole and to the right of the path (refer also to previous Google Image C). In the panorama photo of July 2012, a raised flower garden in a container was in its place on the concrete plinth.

Thanks are extended to Nigel Martin (former SAC Telecommunications Operator, RAF), and John Forrester (Driffield Branch of the Royal British Legion), who each provided photos and clippings of old news articles, and answered many questions; also to Helen Bean of the Driffield Library for research assistance.

 

News article August 1990, regarding Memorial to victims of Air Raid at RAF Driffield on 15 August 1940.
Supplied by John Forrester 2015.

Source – newspaper, date and page not recorded on original clipping, but possibly the Driffield Times.

Return to top

Grey back button to Locations page

Copyright © E.M.A.Hibberd 2010 - 2017.